The rapid and fast-moving advances in technology have changed the software development space as we know it – in scope as well as scale. And as technology adoption becomes all-pervasive, we now see a huge variety of applications across all sectors – even those sectors that were traditionally considered technology-shy.
The other big change has been in the constitution of the industry and its ways of working. Technology delivery models have evolved. The work paradigm itself is evolving with
Here are ten tips for software developers to survive in the changing reality:
Opportunities are immense
• Keep your eyes open and challenge boundaries: Geography boundaries are getting broken. The current working environment is opening up opportunities across the globe for the best talent.
• Career paths needn’t be traditional: Rather than being a slave to org ladders and promotion cycles, keep your aspirations high and seek for opportunities. Newer ways of working are also opening such as freelancing.
• Create your brand with your demonstrable skills: It’s not about pedigree anymore, creates your portfolio with real work, and build a brand for yourself.
How do you get ready for it?
• Focus on strong foundations: Earlier, one could build a career out of being a Java Developer or C# specialist. But in the changing world, focus on building strong language agnostic tech foundations and applied knowledge. Learn by doing.
• Be a highly adaptable learner: Given the pace of change, the ability to learn and adapt is the most valuable skill that a
• Stay on top of the changing tech landscape: Find ways to constantly stay on top of the technology curve. It could be through contributing to open source projects or taking up experiential projects to hone your skills.
• Focus on why and not just how: Software developers who can understand business and product dimensions are much valuable. Be a problem solver.
Proactively manage your growth
• Do a self appraisal every quarter: Rather than being a slave to org ladders and promotion cycles, measure your learning and growth at regular intervals. Keeping your resume updated every quarter is a good hack
• Seek mentors and community help: In today’s interconnected world, you have the freedom to follow your role models and connect to them through different channels/forums/Twitter etc. Build your community and trusted network of mentors
• Have a growth mindset: Be curious, keep improving and growing, don’t limit your imagination, sky is the limit.
The author is the Co-Founder, Crio.Do.